The brick Sandy Point Farmhouse exemplified several characteristics of Maryland architecture. Its five-part plan—a 2-story central block connected to two wings by single-story hyphens—occurs often in 18th-century southern Maryland architecture.
The fact that the Sandy Point Farm House was built in an 18th century style in the 19th century—making it a “hold-over”—is also typical of Maryland domestic architecture. The house was constructed c. 1815 for John Gibson, a member of the Annapolis elite.
The Hammond-Harwood House in Annapolis is one of the premier colonial houses remaining in America from the British colonial period. The house was designed by the architect William Buckland in 1773-74 for wealthy farmer Matthias Hammond. The museum is open to the public for guided tours. Special activities which focus on colonial history, art and architecture are scheduled throughout the year.
The Hammond-Harwood House is a five part Anglo-Palladian (derived from 16th Italian architect Andrea Palladio) mansion that features some of the best woodcarving and plasterwork in America.Â It maintains a kind of symmetry and system of proportions that are rarely seen in buildings of this period.Â While most 18th century structures were fashioned by amateurs and artisans, the Hammond-Harwood house was clearly the work of a trained professional architect.